Apple CarPlay compatibility allows customers to control apps from their iPhone and display them on the SYNC touchscreen for easy access. It allows the customer to use Siri to interact with their Ford vehicle using voice commands while keeping their eyes on the road.
CarPlay is a smarter, safer way to use your iPhone while you drive. You can get directions, make calls, send and receive messages, and enjoy your favorite music. All on your car’s built-in display. And with iOS 14, CarPlay introduces all-new app categories and custom wallpapers for your CarPlay Dashboard.
Apple CarPlay Availability on Ford Models
Ford vehicles with SYNC 3 or SYNC 4 Technology:
- 2017 – 2019 C-MAX
- 2017 – 2019 Fiesta
- 2017 – 2019 Flex
- 2017 – 2019 Focus
- 2017 – 2019 Taurus
- 2017 – 2020 Edge
- 2017 – 2020 Escape
- 2017 – 2020 Expedition
- 2017 – 2020 F-150
- 2017 – 2020 Fusion
- 2017 – 2020 Transit
- 2017 – 2020 Transit Connect
- 2017 – 2020 Mustang
- 2017 – 2020 Super Duty
- 2017 – 2020 Explorer
- 2018 – 2020 EcoSport
- 2018 – 2020 Ford GT
- 2021 Mustang Mach-E
- 2021 Bronco
- 2021 Bronco Sport
Connect iPhone For Apple CarPlay Use
On the 2017 – 2019 models ensure the you see a USB port like below, if your Ford doesn’t have that port please schedule a service visit to have that port installed.
Connect iPhone To USB Port For Apple CarPlay Use:
How to Activate
- Start the vehicle and make sure it’s in Park.
- Important → Make sure Siri is enabled in phone Settings. Using SYNC 3: plug the iPhone into the Lightning cable and then into the vehicle’s USB port. Using SYNC 4 Technology: Pair the smartphone using Bluetooth.
- Once the iPhone is connected, the customer will see a pop-up asking to connect on the SYNC touchscreen. Tap Continue.
- The next pop-up on the SYNC touchscreen will ask the customer to review and accept the Terms and Conditions.
- The customer will have to click Allow on their iPhone for SYNC to complete Apple CarPlay setup.
- Once the connection is made and Terms and Conditions are accepted, Apple CarPlay will automatically launch on the SYNC touchscreen, giving the customer access to their phone, messages, Apple Maps and more.
Video: How to Activate Apple CarPlay on Ford SYNC
iPhone Apps Available on Apple CarPlay & Ford SYNC
Common iPhone app integrations include the Apple iPhone for calls, Contacts, iTunes and other music apps, Maps, Messages, Ford SYNC, Podcasts, Audiobooks and many more apps. Once connecting your iPhone via USP cable, you will see the complete list of available apps on your iPhone that are compatible with the Ford SYNC integration for your vehicle.
- iPhone 5 or later with iOS 7.1 or newer. NOTE: Using Waze™ or Google Maps™ in Apple CarPlay requires iOS 12 or newer
- USB connection using an Apple-provided Lightning cable if using SYNC 3. SYNC 4 Technology does not require using a manufacturer’s cable